Product Review and Rants

 Time to vent about inflation, big box stores, and ZEVO.

Well, you all know about inflation and the smaller portions at a higher price. I suppose all of us are shopping for the best price on everything nowadays. But then you get cautious .... lettuce, a vegetable I love and could eat every day is taboo. Taylor Farms sells under various names, and you don't know what you are getting. I am far too old to spend my days attached to the toilet. So, we no longer have BLT's. Because I grow our tomatoes, we now enjoy an occasional BT. Then you wonder about other things available in the supermarket. Like chicken. It has come to my attention that some of what my grandmother called "fryers" are huge. Hormones, I suppose. There are farms around here and their prices reflect the money they spend to feed the animals. Eggs are rarely offered for less than $5 a dozen. We are looking to buy a freezer and find someone to split a side of beef with. Also, half a hog. Okay, that is off my chest now.

We ventured into the very small Walmart closest to our home to get water and a few other things. I had a list and it was less than 10 items. Our usual practice is for The Man to fill our water bottles while I peruse the aisles looking for bargains and filling the cart with my list items. Well, I am now having to help with the water, since his ill-timed collision with mower and tree. He was dutifully waiting for me at the produce section. It was so cold in there, I could not think. I always take a sweater with me when we go to Walmart because it is always cold in their stores due to the fact that Bentonville controls the thermostat. I know this because I worked in the Pharmacy and had to call them to have the heat turned down, lest I strip all clothes off. We were in Minnesota then and I suppose they thought we deserved more heat there. The woman even voiced that opinion to me. I wanted to ask her what was wrong with her but decided it would not be a smart move. Anyway, we left without most of the items on my list. I like cooler temps and think 60 is quite pleasant. My fingers were turning blue and I estimate temperatures in the lower 50's was the setting. Maybe their thermostat was broken. I complained when they asked me if I had found everything I was looking for. I doubt anyone did anything, but I did tell them. Now we go to a different store in another city, so my brain does not freeze up.

That leaves the product review for ZEVO. Since I have a vegetable garden it came as no surprise that fruit flies took over the kitchen. In the past I just pour a little apple cider vinegar in a shallow bowl with a couple drops of dish soap and it has always taken care of the problem. Not this year, they have taken over my entire house. The bathroom and the bedroom as well. So, I ordered the device and plugged it in. It didn't solve the invasion. I read that they will sometimes come up from the drains in the sinks. I scrubbed all my sinks and the bathtub and then then poured baking soda and vinegar down each drain. Still here dive bombing my face. They will get under my glasses and into my eyes. I am pretty sure I have swallowed a few.

Off to Walmart to get another device and some refills. I always try to find what I am looking for on my own, based on where it should logically be. Couldn't find them, so I asked. "What is a ZEVO?" asked the helpful, friendly associate. Faced with the dilemma of having to describe the product, I burst into song. You know the one on the ad on TV. She still had not a clue. I was looking in the household cleaning aisle that has bug spray and roach and rodent traps. I mean, that is where I would display them. No, there were in the garden center.

Both devices are plugged in, and the sticky trap part should be full of the annoying little devils. They are not. There was one housefly and a couple of mosquitoes along with maybe 10 fruit flies. I am unimpressed with the device. My old go to for fruit flies is still in place. I seem to have eliminated more with my vinegar solution than the ZEVO. Oh, one other thing .... they are not cheap. Vinegar and dish soap are something you probably have in your cupboard.


Comments

  1. Hi, Kathy. Have you not tried those yellow sticky things I put in all my plant pots? Maybe you don't have flower pots inside? A few years ago I got overwhelmed with fungus gnats. I mean, trying to make sugar cookies for Christmas was a real challenge---- gnats getting on the dough before I could roll it out. I got the situation under control by putting the yellow stickies everywhere. And, since then, I treat all houseplant water with Dunks. No gnats in my house. I have thought of buying a ZEVO for mosquitoes, though. Trying to keep grass and potted flowers alive when it is 105° helps mosquitoes survive! Good luck with your bug fight. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my house plants are on the porch until the weather forces me to bring them inside. Remember, my house is tiny. The culprit is the tomatoes I pick and put on the counter. I could put them in the fridge, but that takes the flavor away. Usually the bowl of vinegar attracts them and they get stuck in the dish soap. This must be some robust fruit flies.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of a ZEVO. I wonder if it has a guarantee. If so, I would take it back to the store and use the refund on more natural products. Re the sinks and drains, I have had luck with boiling water-pour a potful into each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ZEVO is just a blue light with a sticky substance on the cartridge. The light is supposed to attract the bugs, and they will get stuck to the sticky board when they investigate the light. Good theory, should work, but not for me. I must be special.

      Delete
  3. Kathy I know you have limited counter space but I have had luck with a small fan blowing on the produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those fans that you wear on your neck, and it does keep bugs out of my face while I work in the garden. That would help in the kitchen, but they have invaded the entire house. They sneak up from nowhere while I sit in my recliner and manage to come under my glasses and into my eyes. We are constantly slapping at them and yell out when e manage to smash one. Like a bizarre game of "whack a bug".

      Delete
  4. we have a zevo but those dang gnats like my eyeballs for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fruit flies must be a universal problem this year. I seem to have more than usual. I'll have to try your apple cider vinegar/dish soap method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if my comment was published or not working on a third of the screen as I am. Hard to edit my words! I have heard lots of people complaining lately. Part of global warming? I have found that the bigger surface of a shallow bowl makes it easier for the gnats to get in and get trapped by the soap.

      Delete
  6. I've also had trouble getting rid of those dang fruit flies this month. It started when Hick brought home those tomatoes from a guy's garden. It wasn't a lot. Seemed like 10 or so, rotating, constantly lighting near fresh food, or diving at my face. The soapy water only got about 10 total, five each over two nights. But there were always more to replace them. I had the most success smashing them when they landed and crawled in a crook of a paper towel where I had my water bottle setting. I think I'm down to 2 or 3 left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are persistent! Zooming in my face, me slapping my own face. Me offering to slap his face.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Diggity Dog!

Gardens and Cats

Best Laid Plans