Tomorrow Will Be Better
Kevin is coming home today. He will have his own special teak box to join the other pets I have lost. He will be in good company.
I will be sad all day. It is true that there are 9 other cats just out my door. None of them are Kevin. None of them have his quirky personality. Ginger is a sweet little girl, but she keeps looking for Kevin when she comes inside. Bo has searched the entire house for his playmate.
I think that Eddie and I will just go to my she shed and spend some time organizing. When we tire of that we will walk through the gardens there. The sleek black kitten, Barack, who has avoided my attempts to befriend him has started following me when I am outside. Every day removes a little distance between us. He is a gorgeous creature, but I am not the one trying to get close to him, he is the one edging closer to me. Almost like he knows how sad I am.
I find little things every day that Kevin played with. His favorite box is still on the porch. Just a cardboard box with some paper used to package whatever was delivered. Barely big enough to hold Kevin, he would curl into a ball and take a nap. I cannot bring myself to get rid of it. None of the other cats have shown any interest in the box.
Today is my oldest child's birthday. He would have been 56. He died before he turned 40. When I think of him, it is as a child. I feel old today. I hope tomorrow will be better.
Aww. I am sad with you. It takes time, and never really goes away. But it does get easier to remember the good times more than the sad. At least for me.
ReplyDeleteSending positive thoughts your way. As Val said, we never really forget our four-footed family members, but it gets easier over time.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry about Kevin and your son. When I look at pictures of our Heidi dog, gone more than 8 years now, I still get sad. We have Hazel now, but she is not Heidi; she is her own self. Hoping you find comfort and that the days start to look a little brighter and that the other loves in your life crowd out the Kevin shaped hole in your heart.
ReplyDelete