Deaf, Dumb and Oblivious
The Patient's bone has mended! After all the weeks of the grimace on his face and the moaning and groaning, he tells the doctor the pain is minimal. To my credit, I did not contradict him in front of the doctor ..... but I wanted to!
Now we wait for the rehab schedule that will keep us home for the near future. Today I rode with The Patient to get a new mower. You might be wondering if he sought out someone who may be able to repair the old one. I mean, that would seem to be the reasonable thing to do, but what do I know?
We currently have TWO power washers and I am not sure how many other items he has stowed away that are duplicates. If anything goes wrong, The Patient sees it as an opportunity for a shopping trip. I let it be known that I was unhappy and plan to use this as leverage when I want something .... stay tuned.
The Patient has resumed his morning breakfast trips, giving me respite from his neediness of my service. I manage to get quite a lot done while he is eating biscuits and gravy. Yesterday I was in the garden picking beans when he left. The bean vines have covered the fence, and the beans tend to hide.
I spent some time ridding the vines of yellow and brown leaves so I could see and in doing so I noticed that the big tree that had a broken limb on the roof that I removed a few weeks ago was actually barely hanging on. The roots were coming out of the ground and there was another sizable limb on the roof.
This deserved an investigation and I went out of the fenced yard to see how bad things were. I grabbed my big loppers (still have not located my chain saw, pretty sure it is in the tool shed, but one enters at their own risk) and came around the side of the house to discover that the tree would no doubt come down in the next storm. It would take out my beans and the fence. I could live with the beans being gone, but not the fence. That would require taking the dogs out on leads.
I extended the handles on the loppers as far as they would go and started removing as many limbs as I could reach. I wanted it off the roof and was hoping I had taken some of the weight from the tree. I wanted that limb off my roof and I managed to grab a piece of a limb and pull until the limb came off the roof.
I was thinking I could remove it from the trunk and then the tree could be convinced to fall behind the fence. As soon as the limb was off the roof, I heard a big crack and turned to see the roots of the tree in the air! It was still on the fence, but no damage. I guess I succeeded in removing a lot of weight. Still, this was a good-sized tree, at least 20 feet tall. One would think such a thing would be easily noticed to The Patient as he got out of the truck. I know he saw me; he waved. I waved back and yelled that the tree was down. He smiled and nodded and then went inside.
That left me wondering what he thought I had said. This is not uncommon around here. Not only can The Patient not hear, but he also seems to be oblivious to his surroundings. He finally came back out to see what his wife was doing and rounded the corner and saw the big tree that I was patiently limbing out and pondering uses for the wood. He ran to get his saw, and I was finished before he got back to me.
Truth is that I did not want his help. He would have chopped my big limbs into so many pieces and made it useless to me. My grapevine needs more trellises to vine on. I need to replace some of the rail I made by my crude "stairs". So many projects! Wish I could produce as fast as I think them up!
Comments
Post a Comment