Rain Is in the Forecast .... Forever?

 Yesterday the rain held off until after dark. The Patient had a little cabin fever, so we went outside. He thought he was going to hike up our driveway to take an up-close look at the mower. I knew he probably wouldn't be able to but went along. He didn't make it as far as I did. I stopped on the way back down to grab a few weeds.

Good intentions and all ..... I put my foot on a crumbly board to lean across the ditch and remove all the spent stalks of a daylily. I pulled them all out and then addressed the dead leaves at the bottom. All was right in my world until I took my foot off that board. The yellow jackets have taken up residence under that board and as soon as my foot took the pressure off, they were in attack mode. 

I never learn, it would seem. I know full well that late summer is when they are prevalent. They swarmed me and started stinging. Oh, how those little monsters hurt. I ran down the driveway yelling and waving my arms to ward them off. My right shoulder was stung at least three times and as I ran, my bladder emptied. I like to think it was an effort to thwart the stings, but we all know it is the bane of women of a certain age.

I was pulling my shirt over my head and using it to wave at the yellow jackets. The Patient was watching and joined me in trying to swat the vicious beasts away from me. My pants were soaked and my hair follicles were standing on end as the histamines hit my blood stream. As soon as I was behind the screen door I stripped all of my clothes off to make sure one did not come inside with me.

Cold water was what I needed. As I stood in the shower under a cold stream of water, The Patient came in to see if any stingers were still in my skin. He was chuckling (brave man) and told me he was unaware that I could run so fast. While he was amused, I was not.

Last night proved to be miserable. I put ice packs on the biggest patches of stings. I went to bed feeling not so good and was up and down replacing the icepacks and rummaging the medicine cabinet searching for remedies. I finally came upon some Ivarest. You may recall the yearly poison ivy at the campground. I bought this tube while in Missouri, so it is at least 5 years old and probably expired.

Daytime has been plagued with insane itching. The stings are swollen and painful. In a moment of desperation, I decided to try the spray bottle of magnesium I had mixed up for my joint pain. I am pleased to report that it worked! Didn't completely take the urge to scratch away but made it bearable.

Dinnertime came around and I decided upon leftover chicken parmesan. I made the sauce with my bounty of ripe juicy tomatoes two days ago. It was so good then and I figured it could be even better tonight. Since The Patient has only one functioning arm and hand, I have to cut his meat. So, I made his plate first, being the kind and considerate wife that I am. Then while I was pulling my plate out of the microwave, I dropped it onto the stove and the front of my nightgown (I was hoping a shower would help with all the itching, so I just got ready for bed). Some of the delicious tomato sauce splashed onto my chin and burned it.

It has not been a good day. The rain is pounding the roof as I write. It is 8:30 and I think I will just go to bed now. I will deal with the colossal mess in my kitchen tomorrow. The Patient is in a happy narcotic haze. I think I should "borrow" one of his pills. I no longer wish to be in control of things! 

Comments

  1. Oh Kathy. Yellow jackets are the worst. We mostly just have the little paper wasps but last summer yellow jackets made a nest in the ground where a rotting tree stump was and when I was trimming around it unknowingly one flew up and nailed me. That fucker hurt and it was only just the one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent you the soup recipe via messenger as a pdf. Also, your posts don't always show up in my sidebar.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I can make a comment, but it refuses to publish, so nothing surprises me anymore. and we all know who I hold responsible for all that is wrong in the world! I have experienced the yellow jackets 4 times now. They return to their nest at dusk and that is when I was pulling weeds. Today is a lot better, just the itching remains, but not nearly as intense.

      Delete
  2. You can't catch a break can you?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness! The harder you try it seems the worse your luck, Things have got to get better fir you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Diggity Dog!

Gardens and Cats

Mulch, Teeth and Steppingstones